Sunday, October 12, 2008

[Monster] なまえのないかいぶつ The Nameless Monster

In conjunction with the release of the renewed manga versions of "Monster", the picture book stories which appeared within Monster have been released in the form of a separate volume. I will be translating the stories which are written in Japanese but were first translated from the German/Czech versions by Urasawa Naoki. Please do not post the English translations to other sites or forums without my knowledge. Thank you.




To begin with, here's the first story, The Nameless Monster:

Title: The Nameless Monster
Author: Emil Sebe
Japanese Translation: Urasawa Naoki
English Translation: Chiaki

Long long ago, at some place, there was a nameless monster. The monster wanted a name desperately. As such, the monster went on a trip to find a name. However, as the world was vast and wide, it split into two and continued its journey. One went to the East while the other went to the West.

The monster which went to the East arrived at a village.
Monster: "Uncle Blacksmith, could you please give me your name?"
Blacksmith: "How can I even give you my name? That's impossible."
Monster: "If you give me your name, I will enter your body and give you strength."
Blacksmith: "Are you sure about it? If you can give me strength, I can give you my name."
Upon hearing this, the monster entered the blacksmith's body.

The monster became Otto the blacksmith. Otto became the strongest man in the village. However, one day...
"Look at me, look at me, the monster in me has grown so big."
Rip rip, crush crush, crack crack, gulp.
The hungry monster had eaten Otto from the inside. Thus, the monster became nameless once again.

Even after entering the cobbler Han's body...
Rip rip, crush crush, crack crack, gulp.
The monster became nameless again.

Even after entering the hunter Tomas's body...
Rip rip, crush crush, crack crack, gulp.
The monster became nameless again.

The monster then went to the castle to look for a beautiful name.
Monster: "If you give me your name, I will make you strong."
Prince: "If you cure my illness and make me strong, I will give my name to you."

The monster entered the prince's body and he became healthy soon after. The King was very happy.
"The prince has regained his health, the prince has regained his health."

The monster liked the prince's name and his lifestyle. Even though it was hungry, it suppressed its feelings. Every day, although it was hungry, it still tolerated the gnawing hunger pangs.

However, as it was too hungry...
"Look at me, look at me, the monster in me has grown so big."

The prince ate up the king and his followers. He ate up everyone.
Rip rip, crush crush, crack crack, gulp.

One day, the prince met the monster which went to the west.
"I've got a name. It is a very beautiful name."
The monster which went to the west said this:
"I don't need a name. Even without a name, I am happy. That's because we are monsters without a name."
The prince ate up the monster which went to the west.

After going through so much to get a name, there was nobody left to call his name.

Johan. Even though this is a beautiful name.

No comments: