Sunday, March 13, 2005

Otogizoushi

I started watching this anime after reading some reviews and it turned out to be really interesting especially the Heian arc. Somehow, this has made me more interested in finding other animes with similar historical background so I have Otogizoushi to thank for this. The second arc was OK but not as captivating as the first. Besides, the second arc has yet to finish with two more episodes at the end of this month. Hopefully, the story will have a satisfactory closure by then even though I thought that ending at the Heian arc would be much better.

Mansairaku was simply a captivating character in the Heian arc and the ending was so shocking! I mean nobody could have realised that Mansairaku was Abe no Seimei and the fact that he was willing to die to save Hikaru (or rather to be with her) was such a touching scene. Hikaru looked better when she was disguising as Raikou, somehow the artists didn't make her as good-looking when she was wearing women clothes. The story was really gripping and held my attention to the very end.

Well, the Tokyo arc didn't seem to be as well made because I don't like how Hikaru looked (the facial features seem quite different from the Heian arc). Mansairaku was OK but he had the fringe covering half of his face most of the time. What a waste! Seems like there are lots of unresolved mysteries along the way but I really doubt that the two specials this month will explain everything.

Anyway, if Otogizoushi only had the Heian Arc, it would be worth 4.5 stars in my opinion out of 5. Taking into consideration the entire anime, I would probably give it 3.5 stars only.

The theme song for the first arc was very good too. When I heard it for the first time, it put me off but after watching the episode and listening to it on subsequent episodes, the song grew on me because it's rare to hear such a rock style song on a period-setting anime. According to many of the reviews I've read, most people feel the same way as I do. And the music for the first arc especially the melody which Hikaru played on the flute was very soothing. I'm still thinking of getting the soundtrack but the ending theme for Tokyo Arc sounds good too and it's not in Vol 1 of the soundtrack. It just doesn't make sense to buy Vol 2 for that song only when I'm more interested in the pieces from Vol 1. Tough choice to make....

No comments: