Sunday, April 02, 2006

Paradise Kiss act 3 Special Edition DVD

Received the last DVD from the ParaKiss series which features Isabella on the cover alone. Looks like my guess has come true about she or rather he is unlikely to be paired up with Tokumori for the last volume. As usual, there is an additional DVD besides the last 4 episodes of the series but the content is not as attractive as the previous volumes. Personally, I tend to prefer footage of the recording sessions or chat clips of the seiyuus when it comes to the special content in anime DVD releases. As such, things like the chat between the music producers and anime producer done more like a drinking and smoking session do not interest me. Besides, a collection of the ending clips of LaForet and its surrounding area seems really bland. Last but not least, the OP and ED without the lyrics on screen just doesn't give the idea that much effort was put into the production of this final volume. Maybe the better segment among the selection was seeing the winning entries from the ParaKiss fashion designing contest but there could be more done to present the images in a more interactive manner. Otherwise, seeing a series of fashion design drawings instead of the actual outfit or even giving us the actual prize presentation ceremony would be much better. As such, due to my dissatisfaction with the special DVD and the colour scheme of this final volume, I must say that I'm not very happy with this purchase.

The freebie which interests me a little more would be the jewellery box which George gave to Yukari at the end of the anime. I have taken photos of the exterior and interior as shown below. No doubt I feel that the quality of this item pales in comparison to the blue rose cossage and the photo frame given away in the last 2 volumes, being able to own a replica of such an important item in the story is the biggest redeeming factor for this volume. I can't help feeling that something must have gone wrong halfway during the planning and designing of the freebies for this last volume that it gives the idea that not much effort was put into it and everything appears so slipshod and like a last-minute job especially with regards to the special DVD.

Although I'm a little happy to see the jewellery box, I just feel that the item is so light as if the production process deliberately scrimped on the interior of the box which seems hollow when I touch it. Sorry for complaining so much about this last volume of the Paradise Kiss series but frankly speaking, ever since I was impressed by act 1's blue rose cossage and the high quality packaging of the DVD, I had come to expect a certain level of quality from Aniplex and FujiTV to produce something good.

No comments: