Sunday, July 24, 2005

Spiral ~ Suiri no Kizuna

Just finished watching this last night. There were a lot of questions still left unanswered by the end e.g. what was Kiyotaka up to, what is his relationship with Blade Children, how did these children come about, what are they fighting against? The suspense and investigation parts were rather interesting although a bit too simple at the beginning. However, the story seems to be rather unfinished so this affects my view of this anime on the whole. I don't like animes to end with ambiguous endings. Maybe 25 episodes was too short to give a complete explanation?

Some familiar seiyuus in the cast e.g. Ishida Akira who played Mizuki Hajime in Tenipuri is now here as Eyes Ratherford, Onosaka Masaya as Sonobe-sensei who tried to kill Shiranagatani Sayoko, Toriumi Kosuke (Sengoku-san) who acts as one of the hunters. I only found Ishida's voice familar but noticed Onosaka-san and Toriumi-san's voice after watching the credits.

I'm not too interested in the theme song but the BGM especially when they are solving cases or in the thick of the action is great. As for the characters, I think Kanone seems suspiciously close to Fuji Shusuke in terms of mannerisms and looks. Personally, I like Asazuki Kosuke the most among the characters. Ayumu is too weak and constantly in the shadow of Kiyotaka, Hiyono is a bit too noisy at times but I think she's very mature and serious when it comes to the crunch, Rio is clever but a little too childish looking to suit my taste, Ryoko is very cool and I like her interaction with Kosuke very much, Eyes is too dark in terms of his character and I simply don't like his hair covering most of his face, Kanone is cute but evil. I still cannot understand why he wants to set up the final test for Ayumu. What exactly is he trying to prove? Talking about Kosuke, he feels like a realistic person to me among everyone. He has emotions and insecurities and behaves more like a real person as compared to his counterparts who seem detached from the world. And I like his red hair spectacled look. ^__^

On the whole, Spiral is good if you are looking for something which is on the investigative or mystery side but you might end up feeling frustrated at the ending which practically leaves a lot of things unanswered.

No comments: