Monday, June 26, 2006

Death Note Official Movie Guide I

This book is an exact replica of Death Note in terms of its dimensions but of course, this doesn't give you the power to kill people like what is depicted in the manga. Instead, it provides information about the real-life adaptation movie's part 1 which is currently showing in Japan including cast interviews, analysis of the main characters, promotional posters as well as photos from the press conference. As the second part is due to be shown in Nov this year, I suppose that there will be another movie guide to be released by then to coincide with the screening of the movie.

Although I've kept the pictures small, you should be able to see that the faces of Ryuk and Light are featured on the front and back covers. Due to the fact that I've wrapped the book in clear plastic, there may be some reflective spots on the pictures though. Seeing Ryuk and Light on the cover is easier than making out the words on the inner part of the black covers since you need to tilt it at a certain angle to make out the instructions on the Death Note.

Frankly speaking, if not for this movie which sparked my interest, I doubt I would have bought all existing volumes of the manga at one shot by now. I've been hearing stories of how good this manga is but never had the urge to read it yet. It was only when I watched the trailer for the movie that made me rush to Kinokuniya and grab the manga. I'm only at Vol 4 though but the mind-boggling story does really match up to its name. It's been a long time since I got so captivated by a suspense manga after Kindaichi and Tantei Gakuen Q.

The bulk of this book offers a partially coloured version of the manga's Chapter 1. Of course, seeing it in enlarged format and with colours (no doubt for 6 pages only) is a treat but I would have wanted to see coloured pages for Light since this feature was restricted to Ryuk's opening scene at the Death Gods' Territory. Anyway, I believe this is meant to get those who are watching the movie, to buy the manga so that's why they offered a little teaser in this guide book.

Although I've not been able to watch the movie yet since the DVD might take at least 6 months to be released, I'm hoping for a 2-in-1 set where Part 1 and 2 are released together. I can't wait to watch it and see how it compares with the manga which has since ended its run in Shounen Jump where the final volume will be released on 4 July. I don't even know if I can finish the existing volumes by then though since I need more time than usual to digest the complicated plot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

really thanks for the imformation.
can i ask you a question?
which publisher you always buy your manga from?

Chiaki said...

If I can get them at the local Kinokuniya bookstore, I usually go there. Otherwise, I will source for it via HMV Japan or Amazon Japan.