Friday, June 09, 2006

NANA OP PV - "rose" by ANNA inspi' NANA (BLACK STONES)

Here comes the review of the NANA OP PV, "rose" sung by Tsuchiya Anna who's supposed to represent Osaki Nana from BLACK STONES. Personally, I think Tsuchiya looks quite similar to Nana herself because of her short hair and rocker-style. As I mentioned in the previous review on the OLIVIA PV, I guess physical appearances would have been a consideration factor besides vocals when deciding the candidates to sing the themes. If I am to compare who resembles the character more, I would think OLIVIA is closer to Reira than Tsuchiya is closer to Nana on an overall basis. The biggest difference in this case would be Tsuchiya being more shapely as compared to the pencil-thin Nana we see in the manga and anime. Tsuchiya was very sexy on stage in that cleavage-revealing dress with a red bra. Although Nana does wear short skirts and tank tops, my impression of her is more of coolness rather than sexiness.

With regards to the song, I must say that I preferred the OP much more than the ED when I first watched the anime. Actually, I don't really have a special preference for rock numbers but it just so happens that this song fitted my tastes. Besides, I think Tsuchiya's voice is rather rich and hard to forget so it leaves a lasting impression on me. After watching the PV, I can only say that this song gets better with each listening. However, more could be done to stress the similarities between Nana and Tsuchiya in terms of appearances or personify Nana's inner world through the lyrics. The OLIVIA PV was better in the area of using visual impact to bring across the message in that sense, no doubt the way of doing that was rather subtle and open to interpretation by the viewer.

No comments: