Sunday, March 20, 2005

Yakitate Japan

Started watching this because of a review I read... The premise seems quite interesting so I decided to give it a try. I was quite impressed with the graphics and music. Although it borders on exaggeration at times especially when it comes to tasting Azuma's bread, it's an entertaining anime and informative one too. The mame jishiki (small knowledge) section provides information mainly pertaining to baking but last episode, it mentions petalite which is a mineral that can conduct heat 10 times better than metal.

The main character, Azuma Kazuma is rather cute and his way of speaking is interesting. He hails from Niigata so should I say that this is Tohoku-ben? Anyway, I seem to notice that some of the animes I'm watching these days has a female seiyuu taking on a male character. Echizen Ryoma is voiced by Minagawa Junko and Azuma is played by Kobayashi Yumiko. Wonder why this is the case, maybe coincidence or guys' voices are too deep for younger characters like Ryoma who's 12 going on 13 and Azuma, supposedly 15 or 16 (graduate from junior high).

Kawachi is also another interesting character with his Kansai-ben. I'm really in love with Kansai-ben characters these days for no reason, somehow, it feels very nice on the ears. It's all Oshitari's fault for getting me into this ^__^

Actually, among all the characters, I must say that Kanmuri Shigeru should be my fav. He has pink hair in the series but what strikes me is the dual-character traits he has. On one hand, he's a cute bishonen with innocent looks and a sense of humour to get Kuroyanagi scrambling to explain their relationship but on the other, he conspires with Yukino to win the Newcomer title. Although he has enough skills to win Kawachi and knows that Yukino did something to Kawachi's flour during the semi finals, he chooses to keep quiet even though he cannot stand Yukino's way of doing things and does have a sense of justice. I guess what's keeping Kanmuri back would be the financing Yukino provides to him for the research but I wonder how long he would tolerate Yukino.

The Newcomer match would be drawing to an end soon so I'm wondering what will happen next. Apparently, the manga is going on so hopefully, they would not end abruptly. I'm just craving for bread at the mention of this anime. Too bad, Lawson is not here and I won't get to buy the kame-pan or the melon-pan. Going to get some bread now to satisfy my craving...

No comments: